Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Benefits of Divorce



When most people think about the effects of divorce on children, they believe that there is a negative effect on children and their academic and emotion stability. Nobody really thinks of the other option that can happen with divorce, which are the benefits of divorce. Benefits I say. You probably think I’m crazy for even thinking that, but I’m not. 



 Coming from a divorced family and reading all of these articles that talked about divorce having a negative influence on children really stunned me. I have lived with divorce parents for the past 15 years and I have turned out perfectly fine. I really started to believe that I was just lucky to make it out, until I read this interesting article that discussed the benefits of divorce.

They believe the benefits of divorce include:
1.      When Mommy and Daddy are happier as individuals, their kids will be too.
2.      When the tension dissolves out of the house, kids will be more relaxed.
3.      When you model that you deserve to be in a satisfying and supportive relationship, you model something wonderful to your kids.
4.      With shared custody, kids have the opportunity to experience each parent as a full and competent parent.
5.      There's the potential for your kids to either witness you being happy on your own or finding a better partner, both of which are a good thing.  

These points are very interesting because you think that every parent in the world has the opportunity to achieve these benefits. Although I believe that divorce doesn’t always have negative effects, I still don’t believe that children will always have the chance to have these benefits as well.
The questions that I ask is, do you believe every child has the opportunity to get these benefits from divorce?

4 comments:

  1. As I started to read this, I was expecting to hear the negative connotations regarding this issue. I actually wrote a paper about the effects of divorce on children and never came across any benefits so this is very surprising to me. I never looked at it in this perspective- maybe because we associate divorce being a bad thing so the outcome must also be bad. I have a friend whose parents are divorced and she came out completely normal and I do not see anything wrong with her. Do you think the age of the child plays a factor in this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have had many friends who have divorced parents and they are just fine. I think what happens is the tension between parents, issues or arguments are what really take a toll on children. I feel as if the parents explain to the children and let them know that their love for their child will always be the same then it would be much easier on the child. Many divorces can be messy and children pick up on these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your title shocked me, but I'd have to agree. I know many people whose parents are divorced and it has effected them negatively but
    I come from a divorced family and I feel as if I turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just follow your heart if that means get a divorce do it.. out way the good the bad and the chances

    ReplyDelete